Timeline of History
1904 - G.W. Harper applies for and receives the Carnegie Library Grant for Robinson. Andrew Carnegie agrees to donate $10,000 toward establishing a library.
1906 – Robinson Carnegie Library opens for public borrowing February 21st. They have a governing board of twelve.
1915 – The library is first catalogued by Miss Fanny Hill who travels from the University of Illinois to complete the project.
1920 – The library is fumigated because of small pox. The library remains open to readers, but circulation is discontinued for a month.
1923 – The children’s library is moved downstairs. Public Kindergarten was held at the library for many years.
1962 – An outside book return is added for convenience of patrons.
1976 – The new library (present location) opens on June 1st. The name is changed to the Robinson Township Library.
1983 – The Vera Carlisle Newlin Addition is added to the library to serve as a program and meeting room. It is named for the librarian who served from 1930-1982. The first computers and videos are purchased for the library.
1985 – The library operates a media mobile for almost 2 years as part of an Illinois State Library Grant project.
1986 – The Adult Literacy program is funded by the Illinois State Library (the name was later changed to Adult Learning Partners).
1992 - The Robinson Endowment Board is established.
1995 - A referendum is passed in six precincts: Honey Creek 1, Hutsonville 1, Montgomery 1, Oblong 1 & 3, and Prairie 2. Oblong, Flat Rock, and Hutsonville join the district as branches.
1996 – The district’s official name becomes the Robinson Public Library District.
2006 – A Referendum is passed to add Honey Creek #2 to the Robinson Public Library District.